[Monotone-devel] path names on win32

From: Connor Berry
Subject: [Monotone-devel] path names on win32
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 20:15:14 -0500

I'm trying monotone on win32 and am having trouble with path names.  I'm
wondering if I just missed reading something in the manuel
or if this is an issue with the newness of the Windows port.

I can't access a repository database on a different drive from the directory
that I am working in.

If I have monotone installed to E:\monotone
then If I type: monotone db init --db=E:\monotone\test.db

I get the following error:

**** exception(205): std::exception: boost::filesystem::path: invalid name "E:"
in path: "E:"

E:\monotone>monotone db init --db=E:/monotone/test.db

**** exception(205): std::exception: boost::filesystem::path: invalid name "E:"
in path: "E:"

E:\monotone>monotone db init --db=E:\\monotone\\test.db gives

**** exception(205): std::exception: boost::filesystem::path: invalid name
"\monotone" in path: "E:\\monotone\\test.db"

I thought maybe it was just a problem with the E: drive being a non-standard
place to install the database:

C:\Documents and Settings\tamslabpc\Desktop>monotone db init --db="C:/Documents
and Settings/tamslabpc/Desktop/monotone-test/test.db"

**** exception(205): std::exception: boost::filesystem::path: invalid name "C:"
in path: "C:"

It seems like Monotone wants any absolute path to start with the Unix root
directory / and it doesn't deal with win32 drive letters well.
Because of this it seems that the database must be on the same drive as
Monotone, and the working directory must also  be on the same drive.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Connor Berry