Re: [Monotone-devel] empty commit / question from Datakko

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] empty commit / question from Datakko
Date: 24 May 2004 11:30:25 -0600

>>>>> "Nico" == Nico Schottelius <address@hidden> writes:

Nico> The tla guys decided empty commits explicit to be allowed and I think
Nico> it's quite senseful. Read more at bottom.

>> Here's two reasons:

>> 1. This provides a mechanism for adding a note to the patchlogs without
>> having to make a nonsense patch. (For example, 'blaming')

You can use `monotone comment' to get something like this.

>> 2. If you get stuck in a position where you need to cacherev, but you
>> don't have any code that you actually need to change, you can do an
>> 'empty commit' to push a cacherev to a mirror.

My understanding is that "cacherev" is a performance hack in tla.  In
monotone you don't need this sort of thing.

cvs also has empty commits.  I never saw a use for these other than
working around bugs in "cvs import".

Tom