Re: [Monotone-devel] empty commit / question from Datakko

From: Adam Logghe
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] empty commit / question from Datakko
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 12:46:59 -0700

I agree that "empty commits" should be possible but it should be an
error by default.

Most of the time an empty commit for me would be a screwup in the form
of "hmm forgot to write out my buffer". I definetly want to be
warned/stopped. I would ask for both a "force" and "did you mean to make
an empty commit? y/n".

"force" as the only way to commit anyway is not good in that "force" can
be very tricky in command lines. You have to start getting specific as
to which check you want to "force" your way over on commit. This leads
to an explosion of "force" specifiers which leads to "I can't remember
the right command". If I have "y/n" then I don't have to remember.

Adam