Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: version 1.14 fails "make check"

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: version 1.14 fails "make check"
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:20:05 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on 10 Aug 2004 00:58:33 +0200, Peter Simons
<address@hidden> said:

simons> Richard Levitte writes:
simons>
simons>  > I wonder, what's important, the current branch or all the
simons>  > branches that the the specific manifest is "attached" to?
simons>
simons> In _my_ case, the current branch is important. I want to
simons> say: In branch "foo" we'll trust key "bar". Whether the
simons> certificate is also used in other branches or not doesn't
simons> matter to me for that decision.

The thing is, as I understand it, is that the "current" branch is only
an attribute of your working directory, and has absolutely nothing to
do with the contents of the database.

Do you want a specific branch that you and all those you trust know
the name of (and use as their "current" branch), or do you want to
have extra control on the current branch in your work directory (i.e.
basically just have control on yourself)?

It it's about controling who gets to write to a specific branch that
everyone knows the name of (let's use "foo" since you used it :-)),
then get_manifest_cert_trust could look like this (counting with
'intersection' from the manual, page 62):

  function get_manifest_cert_trust (signers, id, name, val)
    local foo_trusted_signers = { "address@hidden", ... }

    local t_foo = intersection(signers, foo_trusted_signers)
    if t_foo ~= nil
    then
      if name == "branch" and val == "foo" and table.getn(t_foo) >= 1
      then
        return true
      end
    end

    return false
  end

This can be expanded for multiple branches, by make other local
{branch_name}_trusted_signers tables and t_{branch_name}, and make
appropriate comparisons.

I HAVEN'T TESTED THE ABOVE!!!!!

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/