Re: [Monotone-devel] NetBeans

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] NetBeans
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:27:15 -0800

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 08:28:36PM -0700, Derek Scherger wrote:
> I think there's a basic problem with this at the moment and I've run
> into it as well. monotone ls unknown/missing/ignored will give the
> status of some files, and monotone status will give the status of
> others. The problem is that monotone status fails if there are missing
> files and so you can't use it to find out about
> unchanged/changed/renamed/added/dropped files until the missing files
> have been sorted out.
>
> I think for sensible ide integration at least, monotone status probably
> needs to be able to report on the status of things regardless of the
> status of those things (i.e. whether some things are missing or not).

Hmm, that's a good point.  I'm not entirely sure what the correct
behavior is, though; 'monotone status' prints the revision of the
working directory, and that's just undefined if there are any missing
files.  Maybe print some big loud warnings to stderr and then pretend
that affected files are unchanged?

In any case, feel free to write a simple test case for 'monotone
status' exiting without error when files are missing...

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen