[Monotone-devel] Re: glibc 2.2. version?

From: Deliverable Mail
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: glibc 2.2. version?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:58:32 -0500

Yes, yes, yes, yes!
Yes!  Static, please!  Just some, no need for extra care stuff, for
"linux" would be fine.  Darcs static is a godsend -- I got it before I
was interested enough to get a Haskell compiler and compile it.  And I
did compile _and_ run it, unlike monotone in C++.  So much for
portability...

C++ with multiple g++ versions, different .so's and mangling is a
piece of work.  A _lot_ of work.
I spend inordinate amount of time putting .o files and libs into
different places, setting paths, and getting things pack for various
g++ versions.  It's the major obstacle to monotone -- I can't even
_try_ it out!  (Is there an option to set --db=<smth> as default?
What is the treatment of identical changes conflict?)

The problem is most likely with crypto++ build, which does build and
then fails validation, just like monotone buids and silently, um,
loudly fails to even create a db.  I reported the bug to Wei Dai.
BTW, his distro doesn't even build into a separate dir -- had to make
a Makefile for that.  And it fails with all the g++'s I got.  It
doesn't even compile with good ol' 2.95.3.  I believe its flakiness is
a problem for monotone.  If monotone chose to use it, it better work
around/with it...

Cheers,
Alexy