Re: [Monotone-devel] A Two-Fold Proposal: On Formats And Front-Ends

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A Two-Fold Proposal: On Formats And Front-Ends
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:42:58 +0200

On 10/4/05, Larry Hastings <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Undertaking any of the above would be a ton of work.  And I am sadly not
> volunteering to do it myself, or even contribute all that much code to it.
> (Though I am working up a reasonably-clever JSON library, and I would love
> to help define the shape of the JSON data, particularly the communications
> protocol between the front- and back-ends.)  I realize that waltzing into an
> open-source project, vaguely sketching castles in the air, then saying "now
> go build it guys!", easily strays into boorishness.  So I apologize if I'm
> stepping on any toes.
>

>  What do you think?

What about YAML (http://www.yaml.org/)?  It could be useful too.

Now, about the logic/frontend separation: I agree.  Although the idea of a
shared library was discouraged a while ago (cannot remember why exactly),
your proposal of making a simple binary that just provides the "automate"
layer and developing a frontend over it sounds good (from what I read on
your comments; haven't used that interface myself).

Kind regards,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/