Re: [Monotone-devel] A Two-Fold Proposal: On Formats And Front-Ends

From: Marcel van der Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A Two-Fold Proposal: On Formats And Front-Ends
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 16:09:07 +0200

On 4 okt 2005, at 13:21, Larry Hastings wrote:

<alot-of-good-things />

I tend to view at the 'problem' a bit more simplistic. I agree with the point on the different output formats and the, at least to me, strange division between "to automate or not to automate" commands.

During the writing of some front-end tools and other useful helpers, the list below would basically made my life a lot easier all my problems:

1. get rid of the "automate vs non-automate" distinction alltogether AND
2. define "standard output formats", dont really care what they are, fine if they are the same like now, BUT: 3. implement a --format switch which takes something like a printf() format string/file, where you can deviate from the standard output format. Having things like %author%, %date%, %rev%, %cert% or whatever in the format string, which get replaced with the avialable info. If you dont like the default output format, use the --format switch to make your own. There is a finite number of "elements" which need to be defined, so the vocabulary of the %thingies% wouldnt be that bad.

And optionally:
4. Provide lua stuff to *define* the default format, but that sugar to me. 5. If the format of the --format switch could match roughly how the "lua-world" works, that would be great. Not only giving a coherent mental picture of the monotone interface, but creating synergy between what people learn step by step in the cmd-line traversing over to the lua rc files when it gets less than simple.

The split up, in the visible explicit way larry described, wouldnt get my vote. Having one monotone excutable is very comfortable during deployment, especially in loosely coupled open source groups like ours. "Download this and get started" is very valuable. Having to have a separate daemon to set up would not be very welcomed by me.

marcel

--
Marcel van der Boom
HS-Development BV               --   http://www.hsdev.com