Re: [Monotone-devel] Transport encryption

From: Conrad Steenberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Transport encryption
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:26:32 -0700

Hi Nathaniel

Another alternative might be to have a utility to convert x509 certs and
their associated private keys to the format monotone uses, and then use
the former for SSL tunneling. If monotone is using RSA keys, it could be
(almost) trivial.

The advantage is that x509 is supported by a lot of libraries and
browsers - despite the fact that those libraries might be horrid, they
do work and are quite widely inspected for holes already.

As an example, we issue X509 certs to every member of a collaboration,
and having to manage ssh and monotone (and other) keys is a major
administrative pain. E.g. monotone keys are not signed and have to
concept of revocation lists etc.

Cheers

Conrad

--