Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Transport encryption

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Transport encryption
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:19:34 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:36:16 +0100, Bruce Stephens
<address@hidden> said:

monotone> Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:
monotone>
monotone> [...]
monotone>
monotone> > I'm not sure why we would want to use anonymous cipher
monotone> > suites.  We currently sign the stream both ways, right?
monotone> > Why should we stop?
[...]
monotone> I'm suggesting another would be to leave monotone's protocol
monotone> just as it is (complete with signing), and just to use TLS
monotone> to provide an encryption wrapper around it, for those that
monotone> want such a thing.

Not having played with the anonymous cipher suites at all, I'm really
walking on thin ice when talking about it.  I was under the impression
that all the anonymous cipher suites used EDH (Ephemeral DH?), so
using that would also require a bit more of monotone than you might
think...

monotone> > I can inform you, again, that OpenSSL supports
monotone> > non-blocking I/O.
monotone>
monotone> I know.  monotone is under the GNU GPL, and OpenSSL's
monotone> licence doesn't quite fit with that.  (On the whole, I'd be
monotone> in favour of adding the standard exception to permit
monotone> monotone to link with OpenSSL, but maybe there's something
monotone> GNU GPL required by monotone that would prevent that.)

Oh, right, the farking license incompatibility thingy, I forgot about
that...

Cheers,
Richard

-----