Re: [Monotone-devel] Database gone wild...

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Database gone wild...
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 19:09:33 +1100

On 09/03/2007, at 5:11 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 01:15:25PM +1100, William Uther wrote:
Can someone please explain to me why a DB can pass a db check, then
you sync with someone, then you don't pass a db check.  Surely
monotone should refuse to accept stuff it knows is broken.

I know how it happens.  I just want to see if anyone thinks this is
actually a good idea.  I am rapidly coming to believe that is it a
REALLY bad idea.  Users, who need to be using this system so just
turning off write access isn't a reasonable solution, keep pushing
the same broken crap back into my cleaned up db.

Mostly it is because 'db check' is really hair-trigger.  Put one cert
in a slightly non-canonical arrangement, and it starts screaming, 'the
sky is falling!  the sky is falling!'... Being exhaustive and paranoid
is good, but it doesn't really explain itself very well to users, and
that scares them a lot.

Well, it isn't just 'db check' that complains. It seems to be quite easy to get these slightly strange certs, etc. Then every command that comes across them complains. Admittedly, everything that has been a problem has had its root cause in "user error", but it just doesn't seem that the system is very robust to user error at the moment. And one small user error can be a lot of work to clean up after.

The system doesn't lose information, but it becomes quite hard to separate the 'good' information from the 'bad' information.

It is somewhat frustrating...

Sorry about that :-/

I'll live :). A cleanup and a new epoch has fixed things for the moment. I may be adding to the epoch docs soon though.

Be well,

Will         :-}