Re: [Monotone-devel] Database gone wild...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Database gone wild...
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 00:59:22 -0800

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 07:11:24PM +1100, William Uther wrote:

> On 09/03/2007, at 4:58 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
> >>Then there was the problem with cvssync where it was moved to a new
> >>server that didn't have a key generated before it was run the first
> >>time.  Rather than erroring out, it added two revs without any certs
> >>and the scripts then synced them into the cloud.  Wheeee.  A db check
> >>now gives:
> >
> >This is really not a big deal.  You can add certs to those revs if you
> >want; you can kill_rev_locally them if you want (they probably won't
> >even be transmitted over netsync, because they have no branch certs,
> >the exception is if they have children that do have branch certs),
> >you can ignore them, whatever.  db check is just whining.
>
> netsync (we're mostly using ssh:// here) will send them sometimes.
> This means that they propagate nicely, and *then* start causing
> problems.

You have two things that are (were) annoying you: some revisions whose
certs had an invalid signature, and some revisions that simply had no
certs.  The former are transmitted over netsync, and also cause
obnoxious warnings to be printed all the time.  The latter are only
transmitted over netsync if they have some descendent that _does_ have
a branch cert on it, and they don't cause any warnings or any other
problems in particular (except they make db check whine).

In this particular paragraph I was talking about the latter.

- Don't let your informants burn anything.
- Don't grow old.
- Be good grad students.
  -- advice of Murray B. Emeneau on the occasion of his 100th birthday