Re: [Monotone-devel] non-recursive add considered harmful

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] non-recursive add considered harmful
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:23:25 +0100

Hi,

Daniel Carosone wrote:
I was always skeptical about the non-recursive-by-default changes

Yeah, bugs me, too.

, but this is just ridiculous:

address@hidden [7:50][309]/tmp/bar> mkdir -p test/a/b/c/d
address@hidden [7:50][310]/tmp/bar> touch test/a/b/c/d/boing
address@hidden [7:51][311]/tmp/bar> mtn add --unknown
mtn: adding test to workspace manifest
address@hidden [7:51][312]/tmp/bar> mtn add --unknown
mtn: adding test/a to workspace manifest
address@hidden [7:51][313]/tmp/bar> mtn add --unknown
mtn: adding test/a/b to workspace manifest
address@hidden [7:51][314]/tmp/bar> mtn add --unknown
mtn: adding test/a/b/c to workspace manifest
address@hidden [7:51][315]/tmp/bar> mtn add --unknown
mtn: adding test/a/b/c/d to workspace manifest
address@hidden [7:51][316]/tmp/bar> mtn add --unknown
mtn: adding test/a/b/c/d/boing to workspace manifest

I ended up doing something like: 'mtn add test/a/b/c/d/boing' right from the beginning. That way, all the directories in between get added automatically. For me, that's a clear work-around. I fail to see how this should be more user-friendly, more secure or more consistent than a recursive by default behavior.

Regards

Markus