Re: [Monotone-devel] non-recursive add considered harmful

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] non-recursive add considered harmful
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:05:07 +0100

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007, Sebastian wrote:

> [...]
> I use monotone cvs git, and svn depending on the project I work on, and
> the people I work with. Having recursive add in mtn would bother me,
> since it would behave different from the add command in all SCMs I
> know.
> [...]

Err... "cvs add" is non-recursive, yes.
But "svn add" and "git add" _ARE_ recursive, of course.

GIT:

| $ cd /tmp
| $ mkdir work
| $ cd work
| $ git init
| Initialized empty Git repository in .git/
| $ mkdir -p a/b/c
| $ touch a/b/c/{d,e,f,g}
| $ git add a
| $ git status
| # On branch master
| #
| # Initial commit
| #
| # Changes to be committed:
| #   (use "git rm --cached <file>..." to unstage)
| #
| #       new file: a/b/c/d
| #       new file: a/b/c/e
| #       new file: a/b/c/f
| #       new file: a/b/c/g
| #

SVN:

| $ svnadmin create /tmp/svn
| $ svn co file:///tmp/svn work
| Checked out revision 0.
| $ cd work
| $ mkdir -p a/b/c
| $ touch a/b/c/{d,e,f,g}
| $ svn add a
| A         a
| A         a/b
| A         a/b/c
| A         a/b/c/d
| A         a/b/c/e
| A         a/b/c/f
| A         a/b/c/g
| $ svn stat
| A      a
| A      a/b
| A      a/b/c
| A      a/b/c/d
| A      a/b/c/e
| A      a/b/c/f
| A      a/b/c/g

So, it looks most of the newer SCMs already use a recursive "add"
command and not vice versa. I'm personally favor that all Monotone
commands operating on a directory are operating recursively on this
directory by default...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden
                                       www.engelschall.com