Re: [Monotone-devel] non-recursive add considered harmful

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] non-recursive add considered harmful
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:40:59 +0100

Brian May wrote:
"Daniel" == Daniel Carosone <address@hidden> writes:

    Daniel> If you see a problem at any of these stages, where you've
    Daniel> added a file you didn't want, you can always drop that
    Daniel> file again before committing, and there'll be no record of
    Daniel> it.

If you accidently add an entire tree when you only wanted to add one
file (where did those files come from?) then that could be a lot of
drops.

(yes, been in this situation with svn, and hated it; although I seem
to recall svn's remove command didn't always work as required in this
situation).

Typically I like to add files one at a time, so I can see what is
being added, and why. It also makes it easier when writing scripts to
automatically add files.

I typically do:
mtn ls unknown
(if necessary rm files or add files to .mtn-ignore)
mtn add --unknown

And I think it is a really really bad idea if these two disagree in which files are unknown, i.e., if mtn ls unknown doesn't list files recursively, but mtn add --unknown does add them recursively.

Cheers,

-- Ulf