[Monotone-devel] Sharing subprojects between projects

From: Anthony Williams
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Sharing subprojects between projects
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:26:31 +0100

Hi,

I've just started trying out monotone as a replacement for CVS. I'm sure this
has been covered a squillion times before, but I couldn't find a clear guide
as to the best way to proceed, so I'm asking again.

One thing that I do quite often is have a subproject shared between several
other projects. In CVS I have

    shared_project/
        file1.cpp
        file2.cpp
    project1/
        project1.cpp
    project2/
        project2.cpp

I check out shared_project into a subdirectory of each project on disk, so on
disk I have:

    project1/
        project1.cpp
        shared_project/
            file1.cpp
            file2.cpp
    project2/
        project2.cpp
        shared_project/
            file1.cpp
            file2.cpp

With CVS this mostly works OK, since commits in the top level dir recurse
down, and commit the shared project too. With monotone, if I try the same
thing then it doesn't recurse into the shared project, and I have to commit
separately, which is easy to forget.

I tried using merge_into_dir to add the shared_project files as a subdir of
project1, which sort-of works, but now I have to remember to pluck the changes
back to the shared_project branch. Also, if I add a file in
project1/shared_project and then pluck that change back to shared_project,
then a subsequent propagate will break, complaining that the two adds
conflict.

What's the best way to do this with monotone?

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams
Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk