Re: [Monotone-devel] Sharing subprojects between projects

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Sharing subprojects between projects
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:14:46 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:03:52 +0200, Ludovic Brenta
<address@hidden> said:

ludovic> I'm reluctant to accept automatic propagates to and from
ludovic> subprojects.  I think these should be manual, and done only
ludovic> when the master project wants to upgrade to a newer release
ludovic> of a library, or when a bug fix to a library was committed
ludovic> from within the master project.
ludovic>
ludovic> For example, monotone uses SQLite but probably doesn't want
ludovic> every commit to SQLite to propagate automatically into
ludovic> Monotone, does it?

It's a good point.  Really, it probably depends on how tightly
connected the main projects are with the subprojects, how much happens
in cooperation.

Also, with e merge_into_dir/propagate scheme, changes in the
subdirectories end up in the master branch, not in the subproject
branches.  That takes us back to the _MTN/subdirs idea for master
projects that DO want to have tight updates of the subprojects.

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis