Re: [Monotone-devel] branch abbreviations

From: Tero Koskinen
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] branch abbreviations
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:04:18 +0300

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:58:17 -0600 Derek Scherger wrote:
> how about something like this:
>
> address@hidden ~/monotone/mainline $ ./mtn heads -b .inventory
> mtn: branch 'net.venge.monotone.basic_io.inventory' is currently merged:
> b4787bd05558f1af4cd305637bc018dcee042b2e address@hidden
> 2007-05-21T21:06:35
>
> What this is doing is looking for a branch that matches the speficied
> suffix (indicated by the preceeding "."). Of the ~200 branches in my
> monotone database there are very few cases where the last component of
> the branch name is not unique so this seems like a reasonable strategy.
>
> Thoughts?

The idea of branch aliases is great, but atleast I put all my personal
projects into a single database and have names like:
 project-a.trunk
 project-a.release_1
 project-b.trunk
 project-b.release_1
 project-c.trunk

In this case giving the suffix doesn't help.

Maybe one could create a lua hook for resolving branch aliases and
place it to monotonerc? Then people could customize the alias behaviour
as they want.

For example:
function resolve_branch_name(name)
   if (name == "monotone") then return "net.venge.monotone" end

   return name;
end

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/