[Monotone-devel] Re: Automate weirdness...

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Automate weirdness...
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:14:04 +0100

William Uther <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> First I call "get_base_revision_id" to get the base revision.
> automate returns the revision to me with an extra linefeed (note
> that the 2nd line has a 41 rather than a 40 as the length of the
> returned id).  I then pass that straight into "certs", with the
> extra character, and get an error for giving automate an extra
> character.

I think the current behaviour is reasonable: it's returning
LF-terminated ids (only just one in this case).

If you didn't produce the LF, then what would you do for parents (or
other commands that can return more than one): add a LF for each only
when there's more than one, or omit all LFs (so the callers needs to
know to split into 40 character chunks), or use LFs as separators, not
terminators?