Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Automate weirdness...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Automate weirdness...
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 00:20:05 -0700

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 09:59:26AM +1000, William Uther wrote:
> I guess I was expecting that with this fancy mechanism for breaking
> up a response into multiple chunks, those multiple chunks might
> actually be used for something.

Oh, perhaps this is a bug in the docs.  The multiple chunks have no
semantic value; they're simply a standard solution to a standard
problem with such protocols, viz, if you have arbitrary length
multiple pieces, then you have to be willing to spend arbitrary
amounts of memory on the server (because it has to buffer the whole
message in memory before it can figure out how long it is, and it has
to figure out how long it is before it can write out the header at the
beginning of the response).

Doc patches accepted?

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen