Re: [Monotone-devel] resolving name conflicts; file suturing vs drop

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] resolving name conflicts; file suturing vs drop
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 11:59:28 +1000

On 06/05/2008, at 11:35 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:

William Uther <address@hidden> writes:

If we are truly "merging" via suturing, nothing is dropped, and
everything is fine. If we are approximating suturing by dropping, then
this is an issue.

Do you know a way to suture without dropping a node-id?  Or were you
thinking of implementing a graveyard?

I have no idea how to implement suturing; I've just been exploring use
cases and user interfaces.

I keep hoping someone will say "here's how to implement it" or at
least "here's where to look in the code".

"Those on the ground should never tell those flying that flying is
impossible"

Having said that... :)

I can't see an easy way to implement this without a graveyard. If you're going to implement a graveyard, then I'd get rid of DieDieDie merge first.

You could then implement the 'drop one side' approximation to a suture, and
know that DieDieDie merge wont kill you.

Once you have a graveyard, appending information to dead nodes, such as
"this node was merged into this other node" would make future merges easier.

(If anyone can see other solutions, post away. I'm just posting what I see.)

Cheers,

Will        :-}