Re: [Monotone-devel] resolving name conflicts; file suturing vs drop

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] resolving name conflicts; file suturing vs drop
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 11:10:59 +0200

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> You might even have renames, so that the file to be resurrected isn't
> currently visible. How's the user supposed to resurrect the file then?

Now I lost you ;) Resurrection is about bringing dead files back to live, so
it will always be invisible before resurrecting it, no?

> Doesn't the user rather want to resurrect a file from a specific
> revision (possibly with a new target filename). That would make
> resurrection a simple copy, and we wouldn't need to carry on node ids
> forever.

That he can do already, without need for implementing something: Simply use
mtn cat and create a new file with old contents, poor mans copy. Works for
deleted and non-deleted files. That's not what we are talking about.

All three problems (resurrection, suturing, and copying) will need to
establish some sort of connection between node identities in the graph
(resurrection: 1->1, suturing: N->1, copying 1->N). We currently don't have
(a) a mechanism to achieve that and (b) only a small clue of what problems
will arise afterwards. Don't let us confuse and/or intermix these two steps.

Regards,
Thomas