Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug #21545 -- really annoying

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug #21545 -- really annoying
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 13:08:23 +1000

On 23/05/2008, at 5:55 PM, Richard Levitte wrote:

In message <address@hidden> on Fri, 23 May 2008 17:11:49 +1000, William Uther <address@hidden > said:

willu.mailingLists> > Good idea, I like it!  However, using
willu.mailingLists> > directory_empty() can lead to confusion (': ; '
willu.mailingLists> > is my prompt):
willu.mailingLists>
willu.mailingLists> Using ': ; ' as your prompt can lead to confusion
willu.mailingLists> too. :)

Hahaha...

A true story:
back in '94, when I worked at an ISP, my emacs session (running on
SunOS 1.4.1) suddenly disappeared.  The reason?  Someone else had a
promt looking like 'foobar> ' and had previously use emacs using the
full path:

 foobar> /usr/local/bin/emacs somefile

He wanted to make it easy for himself (and he used csh, so history
wasn't an easy thing for him), tripple-clicked on the line shown
above, and pasted:

 foobar> foobar> /usr/local/bin/emacs somefile
 csh: foobar: command not found

Ouch!

I thought about it, and thought; how do I prevent that kind of
mistake, would I ever need to quickly cut'n'past a command line...

I have a two line prompt. You can put useful information in it, and it doesn't
suffer from that issue:

address@hidden:~/src:Sat 24,  1:02pm]
%

The one problem it does have is that I find myself trimming those lines out when posting transcripts.

willu.mailingLists> In the end I decided that a) people do not usually
willu.mailingLists> add a directory with ignorable files in it and no
willu.mailingLists> others, and b) it is slightly better to warn
willu.mailingLists> slightly too much than slightly too little. :)  So
willu.mailingLists> I left it simple and stupid.

OK, I can follow that rationale.

Now, considering we've just had discussions about rationales long
forgotten, I suggest you document it in the manual or so.

Added a reference to KISS in the manual.  BTW, the "add" manual section
didn't even note that add was non-recursive by default, let alone the
rationale.  I gave the section a general cleanup.

Cheers,

Will        :-}