Re: [Monotone-devel] compatibility of 0.40 and 0.41 question

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] compatibility of 0.40 and 0.41 question
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 16:21:33 +0100

Hi,

Hugo Cornelis wrote:
> I am surprised that a 0.41 monotone executable cannot trivially pull a
> 0.40 database.

Please note, that these are two slightly different things: pulling is
done via netsync, different mtn versions very rarely break netsync
compatibility.

Another issue is different mtn versions reading the same database file.
There have not been any database schema changes since 0.39, so 0.40,
0.41 and 0.42 should all be able to read the same database file without
any changes.

> So the question is a very general one: what is exactly the policy for
> different monotone versions pulling, pushing and syncing databases?

Please read UPGRADE and/or NEWS.

AFAICT there have not been any netsync incompatibilities since at least
0.25.

For database schema changes, a simple "mtn db migrate" should do the trick.

What does "mtn version --full" and "mtn db info" give?

Regards

Markus Wanner