Re: [Monotone-devel] compatibility of 0.40 and 0.41 question

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] compatibility of 0.40 and 0.41 question
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:35:13 -0800

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Markus Wanner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well, that would indicate that a single mtn binary couldn't read its own
> database format. That's highly unlikely. I rather suspect that your
> /home/epokh/neurospaces_project/MTN/neurospaces-developer.mtn has been
> created by an older mtn binary. From your script snippet, it's
> impossible to tell if the file has already been there or not.

Yes.  If I'm reading it right, it creates the database if it doesn't
already exist, but if it did it would leave it alone.

> Pulling (and netsync in general) has nothing to do with the quoted error
> message, because it doesn't touch the database schema.

Not quite right.  "mtn pull" (the command) will give that error
message if the *local* database (the one it is about to write to) has
an obsolete schema, just like any other command that looks at the
local database.

The *netsync protocol* is compatible across all recent versions of the
database schema.  If your developer had run "mtn db migrate" on their
local database, they should have then been able to pull from the
server without the server having been upgraded as well.  (And if that
doesn't work it's a bug.)

zw