Re: [Monotone-devel] bug in monotone

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] bug in monotone
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 00:02:35 +0100

Markus Wanner schrieb:
> Thomas Keller wrote:
>> Anyways, the error is quite common and unfortunately won't be fixed any
>> time soon.
>
> Let's at least say: we should try to improve the error message.

We should try, right. Problem is that the invariant exists at two place
(path_component::path_component(string const &d) and
path_component::path_component(char const * d)) where the original error
could either come from the inside (i.e. a roster) or the outside (i.e.
the filesystem). To fix this one and for all time we could need
something similar like what Timothy recently did with high-level data
structures like revision: we'd need some kind of "origin" parameter.
Yell with an invariant if the corrupt data come from the inside, because
something broke, give the user a normal error when some external path is
wrong.

> Do we
> have some sort of TODO file or something? Or is this a summit'09 task:
> to organize todo items?

We actually have tons of TODO lists over on the wiki from the last
summit(s), we don't need another one ;)

And no, I don't think organizing TODOs is of any help as long as nobody
actually feels responsible for any. And the low feedback on the upcoming
Mini Summit so far proves me right.

Thomas.