Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: more on commit without -b option

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: more on commit without -b option
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:40:38 -0700

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Hugo Cornelis <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Derek Scherger <address@hidden> wrote:
> Revision: ...
> Ancestor: ...
> Author: ...
> Date: ...
> Branch:...
>
> Changelog:

This format is already very close to YAML / JSON, so why not use it ?

Because this format is intended solely for human consumption, it's not an interchange format, and I was thinking that revisions being created (i.e. with commit) should look a lot like revisions being inspected (i.e. with log) and the log format looks like the example above.

Ideally, scripts should be using the automate interface for information in stable formats but there are gaps in what's available via automate. Unfortunately automate doesn't use YAML or JSON either, it uses something call basic-io, which is a format invented by/for monotone. I'm not sure if JSON or YAML were around at the time that was invented or not, but it is a bit unfortunate to not be using a more "standard" format in some ways I guess.

Personally, I can't imagine wanting to look at monotone log output in JSON format, there would be far too much punctuation and it would hurt my eyes. YAML might be tolerable. If the log format was to change, then based on the idea of keeping the input of revisions looking like the output of revisions commit could follow suit. However this might place some unwanted formatting burden on users in terms of entering commit messages.

Cheers,
Derek