Splitting up the INSTALL file Was: Re: [Monotone-devel] status of nvm.st

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Splitting up the INSTALL file Was: Re: [Monotone-devel] status of nvm.stripped
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 02:08:33 +0100

Stephen Leake schrieb:
> Markus Wanner <address@hidden> writes:
>> I've updated the INSTALL document and documented as good as I can. I'm
>> missing instructions for Windows/Cygwin. Lapo?
>
> I can provide MinGW. It may be rather long, depending on detail. I
> guess we can assume a competent developer, not a complete newbie.
>
> I was thinking we should split INSTALL into separate files
> (INSTALL.windows_mingw, etc), but let's see how big it gets first.

INSTALL really became somewhat of a monster in 0.43. I've actually never
seen a project which put all these distro-specific package names and
setup procedures in an INSTALL file - but rather on some website / wiki.

On the other hand having very detailed installation instructions
especially for 0.43, the first unbundled release, will probably
overweight someone's disability to search for the contents he needs -
maybe we decide in a later version to shrink down the contents of
INSTALL, or split the files up even. I wouldn't do that for the upcoming
release though.

Thomas.