Re: Splitting up the INSTALL file Was: Re: [Monotone-devel] status of nv

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: Splitting up the INSTALL file Was: Re: [Monotone-devel] status of nvm.stripped
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:47:29 +0100

Hi,

Thomas Keller wrote:
>> I was thinking we should split INSTALL into separate files
>> (INSTALL.windows_mingw, etc), but let's see how big it gets first.

+1  That's what I'm often seeing for other projects and I think it works
well.

> INSTALL really became somewhat of a monster in 0.43. I've actually never
> seen a project which put all these distro-specific package names and
> setup procedures in an INSTALL file - but rather on some website / wiki.

Please *not* a website or wiki. The build instructions should be part of
the source tarball, IMO.

> On the other hand having very detailed installation instructions
> especially for 0.43, the first unbundled release, will probably
> overweight someone's disability to search for the contents he needs -
> maybe we decide in a later version to shrink down the contents of
> INSTALL, or split the files up even. I wouldn't do that for the upcoming
> release though.

Splitting into OS specific files (instead of sections in INSTALL)
doesn't necessarily mean shrinking docu. I think we rather have to
organize it better.

Regards

Markus Wanner