moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] SVG and moz-bonobo

From: Christian Glodt
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] SVG and moz-bonobo
Date: 14 Jun 2003 12:09:45 +0200

> It is quite possible that mozilla supports transparent plugins. One of
> the possible parameters for NPP_GetValue is NPPVpluginTransparentBool.
> But gtk+ does not support transparent windows (except in
> framebuffers(?)) as far as I know. So the GtkPlug cannot be made
> transparent even if the Control had a transparent background.
> One might bbe related problem is an existence of a shadow around the
> control displayed. I can't get rid if it and I suppose it comes from the
> GtkPlug (not sure).

Well, there's no shadow around the plugin in Opera or in Netscape 4.8.
Also, there seems to be no shadow around the plugin in Gtk1.2 based
mozilla versions. I guess it's a bug in the Gtk2.0 mozilla back-end.
But I have only checked this briefly in "full page" mode. But there's
definately rendering differences between Gtk1.2 and 2.0 based mozillas.

> > Another way might be the bonobo property bag support which
> > Jean Bréfort contributed today. We could pass the background
> > colour as a plugin parameter to all bonobo components.
> > Then someone would need to patch EOG to support that property.
> >
> > Still, I'm not sure how the background colour can be found out
> > from a browser plugin.
>
> I do not know either, but it is possible to add a background parameter
> such as
> <param name="background" value="rgb(0,0,0)"/>
> or anything appropriate. Anymay, there is no background property in the
> EOG control property bag at the moment. Note that if an image is used as
> background, things will be very difficult if not impossible.

True, images as backgrounds won't work. I think we should pass
a few "synthetic" parameters to every bonobo component. These
could be namespaced, and would allow the component to better
adapt to being displayed in a browser. For example:

Parameter                              Value
mozilla-bonobo:background-color        The background color
mozilla-bonobo:display-mode            "embedded" or "fullpage"

The EOG component, for example, could set its background color
according to the parameter instead of using the checkered pattern.
As another example, it could choose not to allow zooming & scrolling
in embedded mode.

Christian