Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] using os x

From: Linde, A.E.
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] using os x
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:13:12 +0100

Hi Danius. Finally got it working!! As you say, imagemagick was the biggest problem and I went through a dozen different attempts using packages on the web and macports. Finally found a script which seemed to do the job. I’ve no idea if any of the aborted attempts made the final script work but, for what it’s worth, I kept a log of what I did:

=====
Os x comes with ruby & rails
  ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [universal-darwin9.0]
  Rails 1.2.6

installed mysql from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html#downloads
  http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html#macosx-dmg
and created the databases in developers.txt

used http://pastie.org/pastes/254887/reply
  & http://pastie.org/pastes/257363/download
  to install rmagick without fink or macports

then
  sudo gem install rmagick

installed graphviz from http://www.graphviz.org/Download_macos.php
  http://www.graphviz.org/pub/graphviz/stable/macos/graphviz-2.20.2.pkg

then went back to developers.txt

installed gems:
  sudo gem install builder cgi_multipart_eof_fix daemons dsl_accessor fastthread gem_plugin hoe json mime-types mongrel mongrel_cluster needle net-sftp net-ssh openid_login_generator RedCloth ruby-yadis solr-ruby xml-simple rubyzip libxml-ruby oauth ruby-hmac --include-dependencies

  (various ri/RDoc errors)

installed taverna gem
  sudo gem install taverna-0.5.0.gem

then got it all running
  rake db:migrate
  rake solr:start
  ./resolr.sh
  ruby script/server
=====

Maybe this will help someone. As I said, I’ve got it running now but have yet to upload workflows so may still hit problems. Next fun bit will be pulling down the latest version of the myExp code and merging with my own before adding the real SKUA claim posting code.

BTW – ‘rake db:migrate’ only populated the development database. What do I need to do to get the production db populated? Actually, all I want to do is run in production mode on the same database so I get fewer messages.

Cheers,
Tony.

On 18/08/2008 09:47, "Danius Michaelides" <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Linde, A.E. wrote:

> Is anyone coding and building myExperiment on OS X - any glitches? Before I start loading gems and the rest, I wanted to see if anyone had got it working ok or whether it'd be better to build another ubuntu VM.

I have it running on OS X fine. I had a bit of difficulty with the
imagemagick gem (surprise surprise) and had to do a manual install. For
some reason ruby+imagemagick will only run as root for me so i have to
prefix commands with 'sudo'.

Danius