[Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Towards a cyberinfrastructure for the biologi

From: Carole Goble
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Towards a cyberinfrastructure for the biological sciences: progress, visions and challenges
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:07:42 +0100

Kei

yes - reproducibility is predicated on preservability -- that is one of Phil's points

Carole

Hi Carole et al.,

Does preservability relate to the 3 R's?

-Kei

Carole Goble wrote:
Phil

er.... which bit of "I agree" with you don't you get? :-) :-)

I agree with you! That is why we have a whole programme of work with BioCatalogue for workflow monitoring, workflow decay management, service monitoring, sharing data using packs in myExperiment and e-Labs etc.....

Carole

Carole

I don't confuse the concepts, although I sometimes get the names mixed up. In this case, uploading a workflow (taverna or otherwise) is not going to guarantee either. I would not expect the workflow that you gave me last year would necessarily either run now, nor give me the same results for the same
input.
Of course, this is true in general for any computational artifact; in the case of something like Java (with it's "forwardly compatibility") if it doesn't, then this defined to be a bug. In the case of other languages. In the case of workflows, I guess, we have to take the W3C line on 404 and say it's a feature
not a bug.

Not that this means that I think that submissions of workflows is a bad idea. I just think that they are going to be affected by the ravages of time even
more quickly than raw data is.
Phil