RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] DropBox support on myExperiment

From: David De Roure
Subject: RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] DropBox support on myExperiment
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:42:40 +0100

Hi Marco

The simple answer is yes J  We’ve been exploring this, and we are of course attracted to the way the dropbox interface does all the work for us in a really useable way! The specific use case we’ve looked at is a Taverna user running a workflow on their desktop and then uploading all the bits and pieces as a pack in myExperiment via dropbox. In fact all the links from recent myexperiment packs to presentations are already into the myExperiment dropbox account.

So I’m also very interested in everyone’s thoughts on the use of dropbox. We’re rather keen on it! I was talking about it yesterday at Ann Arbor as an example of people feeling personal ownwership of data even though it’s in the cloud, and I’m currently at Madison Wisconsin where today I will be demoing Ian Cottam’s integration of Condor and dropbox.

(Incidentally, there are concerns about holding certain data there if it is then subject to the Patriot Act – this point has been raised by our funders.)

-- Dave