[Myexperiment-discuss] Re: DropBox support on myExperiment

From: Jiten Bhagat
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: DropBox support on myExperiment
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:45:55 +0100

Hi Marco,

Integrating with DropBox is a great idea, and I think it could definitely address shortcomings if done seamlessly (which is the tricky bit).

In one particular case I can imagine a pack being a synchronised view over a DropBox directory or a zip file within a DropBox.

DropBox could even be used for bulk uploads and new pack creations!

A few things we would need to consider at the moment:
- DropBox don't have a public web API just yet even though they have been promising it for a good few months now [1]. Though you could just treat the filesystem as the API (ie: the "My DropBox" folder). One solution is to develop a desktop client to monitor and take action on a user's "My DropBox" folder via the myExperiment API (this would then be a solution for any filesystem, not just DropBox). Alternatively, we could use a DropBox shared folder specifically for "myExperiment" stuff which the myExperiment people administrate and control (see issues with this below). Another alternative is to have individual users share their folders with the myExperiment DropBox "user" which we then have synced on our servers and take action on, such as to expose as Packs. For the latter option, linking the DropBox user to the myExperiment user is vital. - The current shared folders mechanism in DropBox is a bit problematic for cases where people share things where only a subset of those things are relevant to any one person. This is because if I share a folder with you and I have 10GB of files in it, you would then need to have 10GB available on your DropBox account as well. This might not be an issue for myExperiment though! DropBox are also working on proper group accounts, which sound like they could be hugely useful (imagine linking a myExperiment group to a DropBox group account). - Mixing DropBox authorisation (public / private / shared folders) with myExperiment authorisation (fine grained) could become tricky, especially when it comes to working with people's identities. This is where a DropBox API that has proper user and access management would help tremendously.

The Condor-DropBox thing Dave mentioned (by Ian) looks very cool! It would interesting to find out how it was done (I'm assuming they used the DropBox Linux command line client and/or monitored the "My DropBox" folder) and how they handled access permission. It's an impressive glimpse into what is possible with DropBox.

[1] - requests for public APIs have been made a few times on their forums (check out: <http://forums.getdropbox.com/topic.php?id=9089&replies=13> and <http://forums.getdropbox.com/topic.php?id=9767&replies=10>) and they even have this: http://code.google.com/p/dropbox-api/

Cheers,
Jits

Marco Roos wrote:
Hello Jits et al.,

Just a thought...
I'm at a portal workshop in Edinburgh where myExperiment came up in a discussion. A claim was made that myExperiment was not entirely appropriate for a certain problem because it doesn't store data directly. I was wondering if DropBox <http://getdropbox.com>, to which you kindly invited me, could address this 'shortcoming'. Could it provide a more powerful way to link in data than simply adding a reference to some server location in a pack? I imagine it could be extra interesting if DropBox would have an API of some kind that would allow myExperiment to do more interesting things with data in a DropBox (or other clients via myExperiment). What do you (or others) think?

Thanks,
Marco.

--
Marco Roos (PhD) <http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/m.roos1>
BioSemantics group, Human Genetics department, Leiden University Medical Centre and Adaptive Information Disclosure group <http://adaptivedisclosure.org/>, Informatics Institute <http://www.science.uva.nl/ii>, University of Amsterdam <http://www.uva.nl/>, Kruislaan 403 ( room N2.30 <http://remote.science.uva.nl/%7Eroos/Kruislaan403_N230.png>), 1098 SJ Amsterdam