nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Re: [Info-nano] Nano Feature Request?

From: Adam Wysocki via ArcaBit
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: [Info-nano] Nano Feature Request?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 22:33:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, Chris Allegretta wrote:

> Also, consider if you're editing a file which you don't actually own
> but have every intention of writing to a different location if you can
> get something useful done with it, but not before.  I can't be the
> only person who does this.  The workflow change here would be to copy
> somewhere else first, but that habit is too formed by now for me :-)

Yes - enabling this by default is not a good idea. There should be a flag
to enable it (i.e. in nanorc) and to override and disable (i.e. from
command line). But this makes two flags. Maybe a flag taking a boolean
argument (on, off)?

Also, as far as I can see, nano does not support view mode in some buffers
only. Only a global flag. This could be addressed too.

> We need to figure out a way to fix that long term anyway to add other
> features, so I think it's worth figuring out a way to do this
> regardless.

Personally I think the most elegant solution would be something similar
to the patch attached now.

Regards.

--
Software Research and Development Department, ArcaBit sp. z o.o.
Ul. Fortuny 9, 01-339 Warszawa, POLAND