nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] possible -pre2, and puzzling menu item

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] possible -pre2, and puzzling menu item
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 13:49:25 -0400

I did, http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2014-03/msg00003.html

> I was going to propose to make a 2.3.3-pre2, and announce it to
> the translators, to get the linter and other new stuff out there.
> Or do you think it is too early for that?

It's never too early for pre-releases.  We should make sure we don't
abuse the translators and only send new .pot files when we are sure we
won't be changing any of the messages again for a few weeks.

> What I'm currently breaking my head over is src/global.c, line 1102:
>
>     add_to_funcs(do_insertfile_void, MEXTCMD,
>         insert_file_msg, IFSCHELP(nano_insert_msg), FALSE, VIEW);
>
> What is it doing there?  The external-command screen (^R^X) does
> not allow the insertion of files, for that the shortcut assignments
> are missing.  It could be useful, though, to be able to switch back
> and forth between wanting to insert a file or inserting the output
> of a command.  But when I add the shortcuts for that, it has the
> problem that after a few switches back and forth, it requires several
> cancellations (^C) to get back to the main screen.  It would need
> something more to make it work properly.  So, for now, the above
> line could simply be deleted, no?

heh, yes it's fine to yank that for now.  In the long run it would be
cool as you say to seamlessly be able to switch back between inserting
a file versus command output, but that should not hold up a
pre-release.

Just send me a mail when you are happy with the status of svn and I'll
happily put a pre-release together.