nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Add function to convert leading whitespace to tabs

From: Erik Lundin
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Add function to convert leading whitespace to tabs
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 12:02:00 +0200

> (Oh, when you make a patch, please do it in the parent dir of
> src, not in src itself.)

My bad. I'll think of that next time.
> The choice of M-1 as the shortcut for the whitespace conversion
> is not very fortunate when using a Gnome terminal and having
> multiple tabs open: it goes to the first tab.  Maybe this function
> shouldn't have a default binding at all?  Maybe list it only among
> the bindable functions in nanorc.5?

Maybe that's the way to go. I thought about some of the other binding
currently being available per default. Aren't the ^B and ^F bindings
redundant when most desktop keyboards today have arrow keys?
> At the moment nano can undo any operations that the user
> performs; it can even undo the last justification.  But with
> the current patch, it cannot undo a whitespace conversion.
> I think it should.

I gotta admit, I've never used the undo feature. Now trying to get a
grip around it, I've tried the following:
  1. Editing a new file
  2. Entering a single character
  3. Justifying with M-}
  4. Undoing with M-U
  5. It undoes the (text add) action?
  6. Justifying with M-} again
  7. Trying to undo with M-U and it gives me "Nothing in undo buffer!"

Am I understanding the undo feature wrong? Shouldn't it undo the justify
and not the text-add action? And is the Undo feature a one time thing
per line?
--
Erik Lundin <address@hidden>