nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Kernel panic on Ubuntu 1610 with NFS - nano specific

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Kernel panic on Ubuntu 1610 with NFS - nano specific
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 11:18:00 +0200

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016, at 07:22, Darren Austin wrote:
> I've just upgraded to (a fresh install of) ubuntu 1610 and configured my
> usual NFS access to files on my NAS.  However, each time I use nano under
> these the circumstances below it causes a kernel panic.

Wow!

> I can utterly reproduce this bug on my system, so it's definitely not a one
> off - it causes a kernel panic and complete lock-up every time.

Okay.  Does it also occur when you use 'nano --ignore'?
(Or rename your nanorc files to something else?)

If not, please find the configuration option that triggers it.

If yes, can you build from git?  If so, then please bisect --
21469422 should be good, and 08b770d4 should be bad.

> 3) When back at the prompt, immediately hit the up arrow on the keyboard (to
> load the last typed command into the buffer) and hit enter.
> 4) Watch as the pretty text of the panic scrolls by :)

It seems to be lockfile-related.  So commenting out the
'set locking' line in /etc/nanorc will probably avoid the
problem.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Same, same, but different...