nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Kernel panic on Ubuntu 1610 with NFS - nano specific

From: Darren Austin
Subject: [Nano-devel] Kernel panic on Ubuntu 1610 with NFS - nano specific
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 06:22:57 +0100

Hi,
  I seem to have found an unusual bug concerning nano.

I've just upgraded to (a fresh install of) ubuntu 1610 and configured my
usual NFS access to files on my NAS.  However, each time I use nano under
these the circumstances below it causes a kernel panic.

I can utterly reproduce this bug on my system, so it's definitely not a one
off - it causes a kernel panic and complete lock-up every time.

The NFS share is exported with options:
rw,async,insecure,insecure_locks,no_root_squash,anongid=99,anonuid=99,no_subtree_check,

and mounted with: vers=4,hard,intr,acl,rw,fsc via the Linux automounter on
the Ubuntu client.

Note that I do not get this issue when accessing files using nano via Ubuntu
1604, or any other Linux distro - it seem to be 1610 specific.

Reproducing the bug is quite simple...
1) From the console (or in a terminal; but I only tested this once and it
still caused the panic) in the directory where you've mounted the NFS share:
nano testfile.txt - add write some text to the file.
2) Save the file and exit (Ctl+X is how I did it).
3) When back at the prompt, immediately hit the up arrow on the keyboard (to
load the last typed command into the buffer) and hit enter.
4) Watch as the pretty text of the panic scrolls by :)

Obviously this is quite an annoying bug.  I'm not sure if it's nano in
general, or the nano build on Ubuntu 1610; but I can't get it to trigger
with any other editor or command.

If anyone can double check this and see if they can reproduce it would be
greatfully appreciated - i'd like to know it's not just me!

If any further information is required, please don't hesitate to reply.

Thanks,
Darren.