nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] a problem with tabs after the overhaul

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] a problem with tabs after the overhaul
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 16:56:22 +0100

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 16:12, David Ramsey wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 5:06 AM, Benno Schulenberg
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > This is where the mistake is.  leftedge should instead be set to the
> > beginning of the chunk that placewewant is on.  Yes, this means that
> > when doing Up or Down in softwrap mode, the placewewant *does* have to
> > be updated.  See attached patch for a rough attempt (just for Up and
> > Down; PgUp and PgDown will probably need something similar).
>
> Okay.  I was reluctant to break that rule.  If it fixes this, I guess
> it's a small price to pay, though :)

It's not a price to pay, it even comes with a bonus.  :)
Without the patch, try this:

    stty cols 75 && src/nano --soft +233 doc/faq.html

Then type <Down> four times.  The cursor is on the "t" of "editor".
Now toggle softwrap mode off.  The cursor is still on the "t".
Now type <Up> and <Down>.  Oops!  The cursor is back at the start
of the line.  It forgot where it was.

After applying the patch, it will return to the "t", because it
has updated placewewant, because it has done horizontal movements
within the line (even though they look like vertical movements).

(That is the whole idea of the new softwrap paradigm: make it
easier to navigate very long lines "horizontally" by allowing
to move through its chunks vertically.)

> It definitely looks as though it could work; thanks.  However, I most
> likely won't have time to look at it in detail until Tuesday.  I'll let
> you know as soon as I can.

Okay.

Benno

--