nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to add support for the XDG base directory spec

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to add support for the XDG base directory spec
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 14:39:53 -0600

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 21:12:17 +0200
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Where should they go then?  In $XDG_DATA_HOME?

In $XDG_CONFIG_HOME, they are config files, in a way. $XDG_DATA_HOME
feels like it should only be for files that override static files
from /usr/share/, the user-level equivalent of /usr/local/share/.
Gtk/Gnome programs do however store a recently used list in
$XDG_DATA_HOME.

> Also, would the next step be that people will ask that nano should not
> simply read /etc/nanorc but first check whether /etc/xdg/nano/nanorc
> exists and then read that one instead?

As for /etc/xdg/, should /etc/ really only contain the xdg directory??? I can
kind of understand using ~/.config/ to clean up $HOME, but not /etc/xdg/. Wine
and at-spi2-core are the only packages on my system that installed files in
/etc/xdg/.