nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to add support for the XDG base directory spec

From: Mike Scalora
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to add support for the XDG base directory spec
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 05:08:11 +0000

Since I’m so used to typing ‘nano ~/.nanorc’ and I may or may not be on an “old” or “new” system/server/vm, I’m going to be tempted to create a symlink from ~/.nanorc to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/nano/nanorc. Though I like the easy to backup quality, I wonder how long it will take to get used to the new way for users and how long we will have a mixture of old and new.

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 6:23 PM Brand Huntsman <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 21:06:18 +0200
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> But I wonder: what should nano do if there is both a ~/.nanorc file
> and a $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/nano/nanorc file?  Should the first eclipse
> the latter, or the other way around?

~/.nanorc should be moved/renamed to ~/.nano/config, automatically like .nano_history was. If XDG is used then automatically move ~/.nano/ to $XDG_DATA_HOME/nano/ and move the nanorc/config file to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/nano/. And if renamed to "config", then maybe move/rename (not automatic) /etc/nanorc to /etc/nano/config to match the new style.