nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to add support for the XDG base directory spec

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to add support for the XDG base directory spec
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 21:06:18 +0200

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the explanations, and for the links giving some context.

Op 10-10-2017 om 06:20 schreef Simon Ochsenreither:
[discussion of file placement]

My position on this is that config files should use XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

For things like history the common accepted approach is to put them into
XDG_DATA_HOME, as they cannot be automatically recreated by the application

Okay.  I'm glad we agree on that.  :)  For lack of a $XDG_STATE_HOME.

But I wonder: what should nano do if there is both a ~/.nanorc file
and a $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/nano/nanorc file?  Should the first eclipse
the latter, or the other way around?

PS: I will try and update the patch with your feedback as soon as I have some
time on my hands again.

Thanks.

Benno