nano-devel

[Nano-devel] RFC: should error messages get colored differently? and in

From: David Ramsey
Subject: [Nano-devel] RFC: should error messages get colored differently? and in red by default?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 08:52:08 -0600

Benno Schulenberg:
> He suggest to add the option 'errorcolor', so that the user can chose
> the colors in which error messages will be displayed.  But when this
> option is not used, and the terminal is capable of color, an error
> message should be displayed by default with a red background.  When
> color is not available, then an error message should be displayed in
> bold/bright.
>
> Opinions?

Displaying error messages differently so that they stand out more is a
very good idea; I agree with this proposal.

I have only one concern.  if the --boldtext option is used, and color
isn't available, there will be no way to visually distinguish error
messages, because all messages on the statusbar will be displayed in
bold instead of the usual reverse video, and without a differing
background color.  Is there any way to mitigate this case, or is it
obscure enough that it isn't worth the effort?