nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: should error messages get colored differently? and

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: should error messages get colored differently? and in red by default?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 19:55:43 +0100

Op 14-02-18 om 15:52 schreef David Ramsey:
Displaying error messages differently so that they stand out more is a
very good idea; I agree with this proposal.

Thanks.

I have only one concern.  if the --boldtext option is used, and color
isn't available, there will be no way to visually distinguish error
messages, because all messages on the statusbar will be displayed in
bold instead of the usual reverse video,

Maybe nano could use reverse video to mark error messages when --boldtext is
used.  Or maybe we shouldn't bother with bold/bright/reverse at all when the
terminal isn't capable of color -- because, really, how many terminals are
that nowadays?

The error messages can't be distinguished from info messages now, so there
is no harm in leaving them indistinguishable on the less capable terminals.

Benno