netpanzer-devel

[netPanzer-Devel] Status of the network code and next plans

From: Matze Braun
Subject: [netPanzer-Devel] Status of the network code and next plans
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:25:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I just wrote a new network layer for netpanzer in SDL_net. Unfortunately I
can't test it at the moment, because on mingw not even the original
winsock port is working. So now I'm wondering if opening a server and
connecting to it works if you compile the code with msvc? (Or is this code
in a nonworking state?)

Next steps from my side:
-First I'll have to learn for exams at 12. Sep, so you can't expect
big updates from my side.
-When looking at the current network code, it works by opening a TCP
stream and a UDP connection between server and client. The UDP connection
is only used for keepalive packets, so I assume we can drop that for
simplicity (after all TCP has a keepalive mechanism builtin).
-When I find more time then we could rewrite the whole network code to
use UDP. this will give a good speed boost and should make playing
over internet alot more reliable. The problem is that this requires lots
of work and algorithms for reordering and detecting lost packets (though I
wanted to write a library for that someday anyway, so this would be a good
chance :)

Greetings,
        Matze

PS: I wonder what happened to all the other people that wanted to start
hacking in the project? Already found something you wanna work on? I could
eventually help getting started with the code. If you search for stuff
that needs fixing the look at the TODO text or simply search the
sourcecode for XXX (I added XXX to places where we need smaller fixes).