netpanzer-devel

Re: [netPanzer-Devel] DirectDraw

From: Matze Braun
Subject: Re: [netPanzer-Devel] DirectDraw
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:03:29 +0200 (CEST)

> > -The name UILib seems somewhat strange to me... A Subdirectory
> >  NetPanzer/Graphics/SDL or so would make more sense.
> I agree.  But I tried to keep it similar to what was already there.  The
> DirectX would be under the UILib directory and it would handle all the
> stuff DirectX does.  Then as we remove the DirectX stuff, we change the
> architecture to match what we want.
Well keep it like it is for now.

> > -Do we want to wrap all the drawing routines once again? I think it
> >  would
> >  make more sense to "inject" the SDL calls directly into the netpanzer
> >  code. SDL already is an abstracted API, there's no need to introduce
> >  another unneccessary layer of abstraction IMO... (NetPanzer already
> >  has
> >  way too many of these)
> Your right, I think we want to use more SDL stuff.  I don't think we
> want to spread it around the code though.  In my mind we would want a
> few classes under a 'graphics' directory that load images/blit/etc.  And
> everything called those.  (And those would just call the SDL stuff)
> Putting SDL calls everywhere seems almost as bad as putting DirectX
> calls everywhere.
Well SDL calls would be platform independent and not that bad, but maybe a
few separated classes are really better. Just try to keep them small
and simple, the current Direct* classes in netpanzer are way too huge and
overly complicated IMO...

> > My next big commit (which also contains a Makefile) is ready ... I'm
> > just
> > > waiting until savannah updated the ssh keys...
> Thanks,  I'm not sure what is safe to work on.  We probably ought to
> stay away from big commits so we don't conflict on merges.
Sorry if I broke your code. Unfortunately I had collected all these
changes already before I had cvs access. In the future I'll do smaller
commits.

Greetings,
        Matze