netpanzer-devel

[netPanzer-Devel] call not to use automake

From: Matthias Braun
Subject: [netPanzer-Devel] call not to use automake
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:03:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

automake is driving me crazy at the moment:
-It's painfully slow, small changes on the Makefile.am need an expensive
 rerun of automake (and sometimes also autoconf+configure)
-automakes output is horribly long (if g++ ... then mv -f ... else rm -f
 ...) why can't it output a simple g++? (Or even do some pretty printing
 and hide all the details, like linux 2.6 and samba are doing)
-it is polluting the buildtree with strange files (.deps, .dirstamp)
-it seems impossible to install our data with automake (it's always
 copying the stuff into the main datadir, I see no way to use subdirs like
 @datadir@/pics/background/menu...

I'd propose to use something else than automake. I've got very good
experiences with perforce jam (http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html), I
already setup a full features jam build system in Crystal Space, I could
take most of these buildrules and use them in netpanzer too.
(Alternatively if you don't like jam, we could switch back to a normal
Makefile)

Greetings,
        Matze