Re: [Nmh-workers] Autoconf changes & new feature

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Autoconf changes & new feature
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:48:00 -0600

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:
>>The way every other autoconf package works is that when it gets done, it
>>results in a Makefile that sets CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS appropriately, It sounds
>>like what was done here was create a situation where you have to say:
>>
>>export CPPFLAGS=yadda
>>explor LDFLAGS=yadda
>>make
>>
>>to build it.  And that won't fly for distros that have automated build
>>machinery.
>
> I agree, that would not work for distros with automated build
> machinery.

I'm not familiar with how the various distros automate their
build processes, but the general statement that requiring the
setting of envvars to configure a build cannot be automated, is
hogwash.

The more accurate statement is more likely the following: Requiring
the pre-setting of envvars before building a package is something
existing distro build systems are not tailored to support.

However, I do wondering about the robustness of build systems
that do not support setting envvars as part of the build configuration.

BTW, at least in bash, you can do:

  CPPLAGS="yadda" LDFLAGS="yadda" make

I've forgotten how many time I've set envvars this way for a
single program I needed to execute w/o affecting my current
environment.

--ewh