Re: [Nmh-workers] docs/COMPLETION-BASH.

From: norm
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] docs/COMPLETION-BASH.
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:45:17 -0800

David Levine <address@hidden> writes:
>Norm wrote:
>
>> In the nmh-1.4 sources, there is a file,  docs/COMPLETION-BASH.
>>
>> I assumed that it is a bash source file. But, from bash,
>>
>>      source COMPLETION-BASH
>>
>> yields the error mesages:
>>
>>   bash: COMPLETION-BASH: line 23: syntax error near unexpected token `('
>>   bash: COMPLETION-BASH: line 23: `        \++([a-zA-Z_]) )'
>
>I just added another error message to it, before those:
>
>ERROR: COMPLETION-BASH is not intended to be sourced directly, but
>rather added to a bash-completion package installation.
>
>Is that clear enough?

Well,... I had never heard of a bash-completion package, so it wasn't clear, but
now it is.

Using Redhat 6.2, I installed bash_completion and put COMPLETION-BASH in
/etc/bash_completion.d/. The result was that every time I hit the
tab key I got a slew of error messages about undefined variables, from bash. The
problem persisted when I removed COMPLETION-BASH from
/etc/bash_completion.d/, so it had nothing to do with nmh or you.
When I logged in as a user, not norm, the problem disappeared, so it had to do
with my environment. I spent a couple hours on the problem, to no avail. So for
now, I gave up and uninstalled bash_completion.

    Norman Shapiro
    798 Barron Avenue
    Palo Alto CA 94306-3109
    (650) 565-8215